Is it just me, or is everyone starting to get married nowadays? Maybe it's going to a school with the nickname BYU-I DO, maybe it's my generation, maybe it's just life and I never opened my eyes to realize that no one is getting any younger.
Don't get me wrong, there's nothing the matter with getting married at all. What an awesome thing to be able to be together for eternity! It's one of those big life events that everyone, me included, look forward to with that "someday" vision. I just feel so..young. I used to look at pictures of weddings and brides and think of how much older than me they were. How grown up they looked. Now I see wedding pictures of my friends popping up all over the place, and all I can think is: Wow, they just look like kids! Not old at all.
I was talking to my friend the other day (who is married) and he mentioned that he had predicted one of my old friends from high school wouldn't last a year without getting married. It's been just a little over a year, but he was pretty close. And then he said that she just seemed like the type who would get married young.
It really made me wonder: Am I the type that people think will get married young? Or do I appear as the type who will be gray haired and wrinkly by the time I meet that certain boy? I never even thought about "types" until I heard my friend say that. What even determines what "type" you are anyways?
So far, I personally suppose I am not quite ready to be married yet. I still have to grow up a little bit on my own;but I'm glad for all the kids my age who are styling the left handed diamond rings. In the meantime, I will still be here,with marriage as a someday in my eyes, amid all the the flocks of wedding doves at BYUI.
Thursday, April 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
I tried to tell you about BYU-I!! I tried...You're 19 now...doesn't that make you an old maid at BYU-I? I would think the number of single girls cuts down by at least 2/3 between 18 and 19. I mean, we can't be letting those 21 year old RM's make it to 22 without being married!!! i hope you know I'm teasing you. ;) I think you could handle getting married, but you've only dated one kid long enough and he's not available...:(...yet...
Not that I need to express my opinion to YOU on THIS particular subject, cause you could probably quote me :), but I'll just say you are young. Enjoy it. You'll get there when you do and it will be just the right time.
But I totally remember that feeling when EVERYONE was getting married. It's a fun time. Enjoy all the parties :)
Haha I liked that last part about the wedding doves, that sounded very... poetic :) . Yeah, I don't think either of us are ready to be married yet, to tell you the truth. Me, definately not until after my mission. You, well, I agree with April that you could handle getting married, but I can't see you getting married too soon ;) . Maybe wait a little while, you deserve the best guy you can get. Whoever that may be, haha. Its too bad there aren't more guys at BYUI who just want to be friends and have fun, I think thats important. Hang in there, you amazing girl. And in the mean time, I'm getting you a bat for the fall semester so you can beat off all those boys! It'll just be a late birthday present ;)
It not just our generation though. People used to get married even younger! Sometime just a few years after puberty, like 15 or 16. Remember Johnny Lingo? They said that the 18 year old girl was old to be married! How crazy is that??? I guess they would probably think the same thing of us today though, haha, looking at us and thinking "Wow, why wait so long??".
Post a Comment