Saturday, October 23, 2010

Seasons

Today (well technically yesterday now), but anyways...today, I wore my boots. and a jacket. and long pants. As I moseyed to class on this drizzly Friday, it was actually really great to feel the cold bite of Fall. Fall always seems to sneak up around the corner so quickly. One day I'll be laying in the grass with shorts and a t-shirt, then I blink and I'm in boots and a jacket. It happens. And I love it.

Then on the other hand, there is winter. cold. bleak. winter. Something that I never really look forward to, so far to the point that I dread it (especially when living in Idaho, but here in St. George I'm not as unhappy about it). Winter tries to be sly and sneak around the corner, but I know what's up. It's never really a big surprise when it comes, because we've all been expecting it. We see those big white fluffy snow clouds and we feel the cold wind, weeks before a snowflake hits the ground.

With each season, there is a change. Change of weather, change of clothing, and a certain change of mood and atmosphere. I think it's the same with the seasons of our lives. the only difference is that in our lives, we aren't all in the same season at the same time. In fact, it's quite opposite.
My fall is your spring. Your winter is my summer, etc.

This makes it really rough in so many ways, because really, who wants to try and wear summer clothes when it's winter outside? But it's also a hidden blessing in others. What if we were all in our "winter" season at the same time? I can't even imagine how dark that would be! Someone's got to have some summer to remind us all that it's still coming, even when we can't see past the winter storms. Not meaning you want someone throwing chipper summer songbirds at you all the time, but just the hope to remember that summer is just around the corner.

Oh and also, does everyone see winter in it's fall disguise in advance the same way that I do? Do they dread winter and feel it's chill before it gets there? Maybe the reason it never gets past me is because I dislike it's presence so much, that I see it from miles away. Sometimes, maybe it's better to just try and forget that winter is a season I dislike, and rather, look up and enjoy catching snowflakes.

Enough of my random 4 am rambling though, make of it what you will. I'll be out, busy looking for my own snowflakes to catch.

1 comment:

APRIL DAVIS said...

Sweetie, there is no winter that you know of here...no snow clouds...no actual coldness...really it's going to be like we had a long Idaho Autumn and then a normal Idaho Spring (but in February instead of May)-I'm interested to see how you weather it all...;)